Linked Deposit Program (LDP)
This program helps existing New York State firms obtain
reduced-rate financing so they can undertake projects to
improve their competitiveness, market access and product
development; modernize their equipment and or expand their
facilities for productivity growth or to introduce new
technologies; to facilitate ownership transition; and to
promote job creation retention.
It is offered as a public-private partnership that provides businesses with affordable capital based on bank loans at reduced interest rates. These bank loans are subsidized by corresponding "linked" state deposits.
The program provides a two to three percentage points
savings on the prevailing interest rate for "Linked Loans,"
to make borrowing less expensive with a maximum loan amount
of $1 million for four years.
2% interest rate reduction for:
- Manufacturers with 500 or fewer full-time employees in New York State
- Service firms with 100 or fewer full-time employees in New York State that are independently owned and operated and not dominant in their field
Qualifying technology and innovation businesses with 100 or fewer full-time employees in New York State
3% interest rate reduction for:
- Agricultural businesses with 500 or fewer full-time employees in NYS that need financing to expand or improve agricultural operations.
- Empire Zone certified business with 100 or fewer full-time employees in New York State
- Businesses in highly distressed census tracts with 100 or fewer full-time employees
- Businesses in a Federal Empowerment Zone, or Enterprise or Renewal Community with 100 or fewer full-time employees
- Certified Minority- or Women-Owned Business Enterprises (MWBEs) that need financing to fulfill a New York State or federal procurement contract
- Defense industry manufacturers with at least 25 percent of gross revenue derived from defense contracts subcontracts investing to reduce dependence on the defense industry by diversifying production to non-military markets
2013 Legislative Change
The Governor and NYS Legislature recently amended legislation that allows technology and innovation businesses with 100 or fewer full-time NYS-based employees to qualify for the 3% interest rate subsidy. Included are businesses engaged in biotechnologies, information and communication technologies, advanced materials and processing technologies, electronic and photonic devices and components, energy efficiency, renewable energy and environmental technologies, or small scale systems integration and packaging.
2012 Legislative Change
The Governor and NYS Legislature amended legislation that allows agricultural firms (as defined in subdivision two of section 301 in the Agriculture & Markets Law) to qualify for the 3% interest rate subsidy when undertaking projects that will expand or improve agricultural operations and create or retain full-time permanent jobs within New York State.
2011 Legislative Changes
1. The Governor and NYS Legislature amended legislation that increases the LDP lifetime maximum per eligible business from $1 million to $2 million!
2. The second change allows borrowers to apply for a four-year renewal/extension on an existing four-year LDP loan, thereby increasing the total term of assistance on certain loans to eight years.
For more information or to obtain a renewal form, please call Dolores O’Connor at 518-292-5261.
- An eligible business can now have an unlimited number of LDP loans outstanding, totaling $1.5 million (prior limit was three outstanding loans totaling $1 million)
- The single deposit limit has been increased to $1 million (prior limit was $500,000); there is no minimum deposit.
- Total lifetime assistance (including renewals and prior deposits) cannot exceed the legislated lifetime maximum of $2 million.
- Personal and professional service businesses not located in a Highly Distressed Area, Empire Zone, Federal Empowerment Zone, or Enterprise or Renewal Community
- Start-up businesses
- Retail businesses not located in a Highly Distressed Area, Empire Zone, Federal Empowerment Zone, or Enterprise or Renewal Community.
Businesses apply at a participating commercial bank, savings bank, savings and loan association, farm credit institution with which it does business or the New York Business Development Corporation. The lender makes the credit decision and, if the applicant is eligible, sends the application to ESD for approval on behalf of the business.
Linked Deposit Program application forms are available below in both PDF and MS Word formats. The version in Word format is best if you plan to print the form and then fill it in by hand.
The PDF version is a protected file that has "fillable"
fields into which you can type using your computer.
To fill the fields, click on or tab to the line and type in your entry; if you click on a yes no box a "checkmark" will appear in the box. To print, click on the PRINT button at the end of the form.
- Linked Deposit Program Application - fillable PDF version
- Linked Deposit Program Application - Word version
For more information on New York State's Linked Deposit program, contact the LDP office via email or call us at (518) 292-5261.