A Message from the Director
After a busy spring and summer filled with progress, the Atlantic Yards Project is gearing up for an eventful fall and winter. Before we outline upcoming activities, let us look back at our achievements together over the past few months.
First and foremost, in June, the Board of Directors for Empire State Development (ESD) affirmed the 2014Modified General Project Plan (MGPP). The updated MGPP accelerates development and ensures the timely arrival of key project deliverables for the community, including affordable housing. At the same time, the ESD Board of Directors approved the creation of the Atlantic Yards Community Development Corporation (AYCDC), a subsidiary of ESD to facilitate continued progress for the project. Greenland Forest City Partners also subsequently rebranded the project as Pacific Park Brooklyn.
In addition to these changes, we have a new leadership team for the Atlantic Yards Project:
- Nicole Jordan will serve as Community Relations Director. She acts as the primary liaison to the community to address concerns about construction and quality of life issues.
- I will serve as Project Director, and I will coordinate the ESD staff assigned to the project.
Our new team will be responsible for monitoring the project modifications approved by the Directors in June, including:
- Shortening the timeframe for completion of all affordable housing to 2025, ten years ahead of the previous outside date of 2035. Developers will pay liquidated damages for any remaining affordable housing units that have not received a temporary certificate of occupancy or a permanent certificate of occupancy by 2025.
- Ensuring sustained development of affordable housing by requiring that the project developers will provide 35 percent of the completed units at the site as affordable housing units until 1,050 affordable housing units are built. The updated MGPP ensures that the delivery of affordable units does not lag behind the creation of market rate units.
- Committing the project developers to begin construction on two affordable housing buildings by June 2015. ESD will utilize enforcement mechanisms to require prompt commencement of these two buildings.
- Creating the aforementioned AYCDC, which is designed to provide input on development, housing, and community impact throughout the life of the project. The subsidiary will include a 14-member board that is expected to be appointed by the end of the year.
And building on the progress of the spring and summer, the following key activities will occur this fall and winter:
- Beginning of construction on the first 100% affordable housing building at 535 Carlton Avenue and the green roof at the Barclays Center.
- Inaugural meeting of the AYCDC.
As always, we look forward to continuing to work and share information with you about the Atlantic Yards Project as it progresses.
Director, Atlantic Yards
633 Third Avenue - 37th Floor
New York, NY 10017
**TO REPORT CONDITIONS TO NYC 311 FOR THE ATLANTIC YARDS PROJECT, PLEASE USE THE NEW ADDRESS FOR THE PROJECT: 620 ATLANTIC AVENUE, BROOKLYN.**
More News about Empire State Development click here.