New York State Surety Bond Assistance Program
The NYS Surety Bond Assistance Program (NYSBAP) provides technical and financial assistance to help contractors secure surety bonding. Contractors may be eligible to receive a guarantee of up to 30% to secure a surety bond line, bid bond or a performance and payment bond on New York State and New York City agency let projects.
Guarantees of up to 30% on a bond line or individual contract bid bonds and payment/performance bonds are available from Empire State Development. Being eligible for this program does not automatically ensure bonding. Approval is based on both successful underwriting by a surety company and ESD's review. Small businesses can also enroll to receive free training and technical support on becoming bond-ready (see contact information below).
Fees and Associated Costs
Guarantees for bond lines and bid bonds will be issued by Empire State Development with zero fees or costs. For payment and performance bonds, an Irrevocable Letter of Credit (ILOC) may be required by surety to be issued by participating banks that charge an annual fee of approximately 1% of ILOC value. This fee is payable by the small business contractor, in addition to the surety company’s typical bond premium charge.
- Applicant must be a New York State small business or MWBE with at least two years of business operations.
- Maximum bond line or project size is $2 million.
- Minimum average gross revenue of $400,000 in the each of the last two fiscal or calendar years and maximum gross revenue not to exceed $5 million in the most recent calendar or fiscal year.
- Minimum credit score of 600.
- Previous experience completing similar work to the contract opportunity being pursued.
How to Apply
- To apply for financial assistance, small business contractors should review eligibility requirements and fill out a Pre-Application Assessment.
- If the assessment indicates you are eligible to submit an application, proceed with the Application and submit the required forms using the appropriate contact listed below the application links.
- For all New York State Surety Bond Assistance Program inquiries, please contact Ms. Huey-Min Chuang, Senior Director of Business & Economic Development, at (212) 803-3238 or BAP@esd.ny.gov.
- Small businesses interested in other state programs for launch and/or expansion, please contact the NYS Small Business Division at (800) 782-8369 or firstname.lastname@example.org.